ROBERT G. BLACK
Law Offices of Robert G. Black, P.C.
101 North Washington Street
Naperville, Illinois 60540
Phone: (630) 527-1440
Fax: (630) 527-1660
General appellate practice and related counsel, for matters on appeal or leading to appeal, including post-judgment motions and case-dispositive motion practice. Briefing, research, and argument at all levels. General appellate counsel, including in concert with trial counsel. Writing and editing of briefs on appeal or matters leading to appeal, with supporting research as necessary. Analysis and consultation in cases on appeal or potential appeal. Experience handling in excess of 300 matters in the reviewing courts.
Briefed and argued numerous matters in the Illinois Appellate Court, the Illinois Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals, and courts of review of several other states.
LAW OFFICES OF ROBERT G. BLACK, P.C.
Naperville, Illinois, March 1995 to present.
General appellate litigation and related counsel. Appellate practice on a contract or referral basis in all areas. Consultation for matters on appeal or leading to appeal, including appellate procedure. Editing of appellate or other briefs, research, briefing, and argument in all courts. Consultation and review.
COLLINS & BLACK
Naperville, Illinois. Partner, January 1994 to March 1995.
Engaged in appellate practice. Consulting work for cases on appeal or in anticipation of appeal. General trial support litigation services.
HINSHAW & CULBERTSON
Chicago, Illinois, and Lisle, Illinois. January 1988 to January 1994.
Civil practice, primarily in the firm's appellate department. Handled matters related to insurance coverage disputes, defense of governmental entities, personal injury actions, defense of attorney malpractice actions, health care, medical malpractice.
APPELLATE COURT OF ILLINOIS, 4TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT
September 1985 to December 1987.
Judicial Law Clerk and Staff Attorney.
Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association
Vice President and President-Elect, June 1999-2000
Secretary, June 1998-June 1999
Treasurer, June 1997-June 1998
Board of Directors, May 1995-June 1997.
DuPage County Bar Association
Chair, Appellate Law and Practice Committee,
Board of Directors and Editors, Publications Board,
Illinois State Bar Association
DuPage County American Inns of Court
Other professional experience:
Appointed by Illinois Supreme Court as sole lawyer-representative out of Second District to advisory committee on Supreme Court Rule 23.
Admission to Practice:
State of Illinois, 1985
U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 1985
U.S. Supreme Court, 2009
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
The John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
Juris Doctor, with distinction, June, 1985 (Top ten percent)
Honors: Order of John Marshall
John Marshall Law Review, 1983-1985
Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois
B.S., cum laude, Journalism, May, 1981
Past contributor to DuPage County Bar Association magazine, including a "Case Law Update" series. Regular speaker on appellate procedure and practice, including in ISBA-sponsored seminars.
- Johnson v. Johnson, 2017 IL App (1st) 160684-U
- Francisco v. Kozeny, 2014 IL App (2d) 130677-U (affirmance of judgment in excess of $5.1 million)
- Wingo v. Rockford Memorial Hospital, 292 Ill.App.3d 896 (2d Dist.1997)(affirmance of verdict in excess of $10 million)
- Muno v. Condell Med. Ctr., 383 Ill. App. 3d 688, 891 N.E.2d 495 (2008) (obtained affirmance of judgment in excess of $6 million, including under defenses raised pursuant to the Good Samaritan Act)
- BMO Harris Bank, N.A. v. Wolverine Properties, LLC, 2015 IL App. (2d) 140921
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. v. Earth Foods, Inc., 238 Ill.2d 455, 939 N.E.2d 487 (2010)
- Kelly v. Orrico, 2014 IL App (2d) 130002 (reversal of judgment against clients)
- Reliable Fire Equip. Co. v. Arredondo, 2011 IL 111871, 965 N.E.2d 393
- In re Marriage of Piegari, 2016 IL App (2d) 160594
- Cmty. Bank of Elmhurst v. Klein, 2014 IL App (2d) 121074
- In re Marriage of Tamburo, 2015 IL App (2d) 140864-U
- West Suburban Bank v. Advantage Financial Partners, LLC, 2014 Il App (2d) 131146
- Perkey v. Portes-Jarol, 2013 IL App (2d) 120470
- In re Marriage of Bates, 212 Ill.2d 489, 819 N.E.2d 714 (2004)
- Gurga v. Roth, 2011 IL App (2d) 100444, 964 N.E.2d 134
- Forest Pres. Dist. of Du Page Cnty. v. First Nat. Bank of Franklin Park, 2011 IL 110759, 961 N.E.2d 775
- First Am. Bank Corp. v. Henry, 239 Ill. 2d 511, 942 N.E.2d 1262 (2011)
- Childs v. Pinnacle Health Care, LLC, 399 Ill. App. 3d 167, 926 N.E.2d 807 (2010)
- In re Estate of Pellico, 394 Ill. App. 3d 1052, 916 N.E.2d 45 (2009)
- Qureshi v. Ahmed, 394 Ill. App. 3d 883, 916 N.E.2d 1153 (2009)
- In re Marriage of Steel, 2011 IL App (2d) 080974, 977 N.E.2d 761
- Kingbrook v. Pupers, 202 Ill.2d 24, 779 N.E.2d 867 (2002)
- Pielet v. Pielet, 407 Ill. App. 3d 474, 942 N.E.2d 606 (2010), aff'd in part, rev'd in part, 2012 IL 112064, 978 N.E.2d 1000
- Sullivan v. Edward Hosp, 209 Ill.2d 100, 806 N.E.2d 645 (2004)
- Seven Bridges Courts Ass’n v. Seven Bridges Development, Inc., 306 Ill.App.3d 697, 714 N.E.2d 601 (2d Dist. 1999)
- People ex rel. Birkett v. Chicago, 202 Ill.2d 36, 776 N.E.2d 875 (2002)
- Hermesdorf v. Wu, 372 Ill. App. 3d 842, 867 N.E.2d 34 (2007)
- State Farm Mut. Auto Ins. Co. v. Universal Underwriters Group, 182 Ill.2d 240, 695 N.E.2d 848 (1998)
- Cangelosi v. Capasso, 366 Ill. App. 3d 225, 851 N.E.2d 954 (2006)
- Forest Preserve Dist. of Du Page County v. Brown, 323 Ill.App.3d 686, 753 N.E.2d 1110 (2001)
- In re Marriage of Ricketts, 329 Ill.App.3d 173, 768 N.E.2d 824 (2002)
- In re Marriage of Capitani, 368 Ill. App. 3d 486, 858 N.E.2d 547 (2006)
- In re Marriage of Sproat, 357 Ill. App. 3d 880, 830 N.E.2d 843 (2005)
- Barrett v. Fonorow, 343 Ill.App.3d 1184, 799 N.E.2d 916 (2003)
- Giagnorio v. Emmett C. Torkelson Trust, 292 Ill.App.3d 318, 686 N.E.2d 42 (1997)
- Ellig v. Delnor Community Hospital, 237 Ill.App.3d 396, 603 N.E.2d 1203 (1992)
Exchange Club of Naperville, August 1996 to presentPresident, 2014-2015Planning and running fund-raising events for the prevention of child abuse, including Naperville Ribfest. Co-chair of Allocations Committee, charged with distribution of grants in excess of $420,000 in a given year, to deserving not-for-profit agencies engaged in the prevention of child abuse and domestic violence.
Board of Directors, 1998-1999, 2013-Present
Prevent Child Abuse - IllinoisBoard of Directors, June 2015 to present
Plainfield Athletic Club
Other Professional Experience:
Peoria Journal Star, Reporter and Editor, 1978-1981
Palos Regional Newspaper, Reporter and Editor-In-Chief, 1981